We’ve had an amazing summer here at the farm, but I cannot wait for an excuse to knock up some of my winter warmers in the farm restaurant as the weather cools down.
And of course Christmas will be here before we know it! We’ll be producing our own Jimmy’s Farm turkeys again this year, so I thought I’d share a great recipe for Christmas turkey leftovers. It’s a delicious, easy recipe and is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- Any leftovers – including turkey, gammon, sausages & any veg – approx 750g
- 2 x 250g puff pastry blocks to cover a 9 1/2 inch pie dish
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 300ml Double cream
- 100ml Turkey stock
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- Seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 190oC
- Chop all the leftovers into equal sizes (roughly 2.5cm)
- Finely chop the onion and gently fry with the butter until golden
- Make your Veloute by adding cream, stock and mustard to the cooked onions bring to the boil and then gently simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Season to taste.
- Add the leftover ingredients to your velouté and mix well. Then place in your pie dish
- Roll out your puff pastry on a floured surface to a size just larger than your dish
- Wet the edges of the dish and place the pastry on top. Tuck the ends of the pastry under and then gently score diagonally across the pastry with a knife.
- Brush your beaten egg mix over the pastry
- Place your pie into the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden